Sunday, January 16, 2011

An Intro...

Thank you Lisa (Mommy Dearest) for your inspiration and your help in getting me started…

Those of you that are friends of mine on facebook may find it laughable that I use to be such a critic of the site. Could there possibly be a bigger waste of time? Okay…Fantasy Football? Maybe. And yet, several months ago I joined the world of social networking (facebook) in order to reconnect with some of my old (literally and figuratively) high school friends. After all, we did have our 30 year reunion on the horizon. At least that was the excuse I gave my step-children in order to save face for caving in and joining.

I took the giant leap, set up my profile, and sent out my FIRST friend request. I made it a safe pick. Someone I knew would remember me and NEVER reject my request for friendship.

The next day my boss advised me I was being sent to Miami for a week. When I returned home, I logged onto my fb account for the first time since creation to find all of these old friends that wanted to be friends again. It was like Christmas! Names of friends I had not spoken to in years – MANY years. I was remembered! People wanted to be my friend. Except for the one friend request I had sent out…

Several months later, I am very active on facebook (Godby High – Picture of the Day) and an active recruiter. Join us… Be one of us…

I have enjoyed reconnecting with friends, sharing stories from a more innocent time in our lives, and the knowledge that we were all blessed to be surrounded by so many incredible people at such an important time in our lives.

On a personal level I have also used it for therapy. This has been an incredibly difficult time in my life and I now have a growing number of "counselors" to lean on. I thank you all!

I hope the "Godby High – Picture of the Day" has sparked memories, brought a few smiles, and reminded us how far we have come. Let us also remember that we have not made this journey alone and that we are surrounded by some pretty damn good company.

I hope this blog will provide more of the same, while providing me with more cheap therapy. After all, anyone known as a LoveBird as a teenager needs LOTS of therapy.

This blog will not be about living in the past, but rather, embracing the past and helping me understand how I got to the present. I hope you will join me…

Oh yeah, my first friend request was FINALLY accepted. Thanks Magoo for being such a safe pick. Sheeeesh…

2 comments: